Saturday, July 17, 2010

The World In General Post

Okay, so I went to Barbara Davis Center the other day for an insulin pump class thing.
OMIGOSH, Mom and me should be comedians.
So we got there super early, and then all these nervous parents come in and yadda yadda. The lady who gives the class comes in and starts asking for names and what pumps we're going on. (P.S. I have not decided that.) So she asks my name and I tell her "No Clue" and this is what she says with the way I reacted.

Lady: Annie...last name?

Me: Raises hand slightly.

Lady: Okay... and what pump are you going on?

Me: Silent for a moment. We're not sure yet.

Lady: Stares rudely at Mom and me. You know, you might not want to come to this class until you've decided what pump your going on.

Me: Raises eyebrow and give the "I'm-not-stupid-I-know-what-I'm-doing look"

Lady: After seeing my reaction- I mean... uh... your welcome to stay of course.

Can you believe it? Jeez, I wouldn't have gone if that had happened, but I wasn't gonna drive back from where I came through with traffic. Urgh. And then, she said the wrong thing to the parents.

Lady: When you are treating a low, don't base it on the number, base it on the symptoms.

Parents: Almost visible smoke coming out of their ears trying to grasp the concept.

Lady: So when they're only 68, and they're passed out, give them a shot.

My brain: Wait. So if I'm like, 24, which is where my blood is basically water, but I'm alert and maneuvering fine, then I should eat like 1 gummy bear and call it good? No. Idiot.

So the class was so pointless, that I could've taught it better.
Also, on the sheet of paper, it says this.

Symptoms of low blood sugar--
Shaking
Sweating
Convulsions
Seizure
Silliness.

Silliness. Mom and I started laughing so hard! We were like, "We better check my sugar! Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!"
Anyway, that was a long blog so I will blog maybe later.

From The Girl With Extreme Silliness,
Annie

3 comments:

  1. Hey I have type 1 diabetes! And I go to the Barbara Davis Center. That's so weird, I totally just stumbled across your blog... I can definitely relate to those low blood sugars! My 10th anniversary of being diagnosed is coming up on the 23rd. How long have you had diabetes?

    ReplyDelete